Interesting factoids from a new survey by the Pew Research Center:
- Nearly one-in-five Americans (18%) now say Obama is a Muslim, up from 11% in March 2009.
- A plurality of Americans say 43% they do not know what Obama's religion is.
- Only 34% of Americans say Obama is a Christian, down from 51% in October 2008.
- Eleven percent of those who say Obama is a Muslim say they learned of this through Obama's own words and behavior.
- Among Democrats, only 46% say Obama is a Christian, down from 55% in March 2009.
- The share of Republicans who say Obama is a Muslim has nearly doubled over the past year and a half – from 17% to 31%.
Other fun facts:
- Among all the subgroups examined in the Pew survey, "moderate/liberal" Republicans were least inclined to say Obama is a Christian (34%).
- Only 39% of "conservative/moderate" Democrats think Obama is a Christian.
- There is widespread agreement that politicians should be religious: 61% say that is important that members of Congress have strong religious beliefs; only 34% disagree.
I'm inclined to say that Obama's religion is Obama.
Update: Neo-neocon has a very sensible opinion: "I’m with that 43% who don’t know. I would add that I not only don’t know what religion he practices, I don’t know if he practices one—and if he does, I don’t know whether it is for show or because he believes in the tenets of that religion."