If the GOP wants to go the way of the Whigs, the Republican establishment is on the right track. Instead of backing away from their support of the tax-and-spend, Big Union-loving, ACORN-affiliated Democrat wannabe, the Republicans continue to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in RINO Dede Scozzafava's campaign. And instead of backing down from their attacks on the Conservative challenger, the GOP is planning a relentless barrage against Doug Hoffman so that Scozzafava does not finish last.
I understand the urge to clean one’s own house, but as I learned from Morton Blackwell, “don’t make the good the enemy of the perfect.” The issue in New York’s 23rd may very well be resolved due to pressure from national conservatives, but a campaign of eating our own is not something we should relish.
Question: What's "good" about a GOP nominee who is far to the left of center on fiscal and social issues?
- "You cannot ask people to compromise their values anymore for the sake of liars and cheats."
- "When you ask people to vote party over principle we get leftist idiots like Snowe, Collins, Specter and Jeffords. Say no."
- "Once we cut the tumor of liberalism out of our party, the healthy body of the GOP will start to attract new voters. So what if we lose a bit of weight getting rid of these RINOS? We'll gain it all back, and more, when we're a party that embraces and embodies conservative values."
- "The GOP establishment seems hellbent for destruction. And they want our money to help them take us down too. We have to push back. NY-23 is an excellent place to do it."
- "Republicans should view this New York race as a wave of the future and get their act together ASAP."