Public service announcement for women...
The current health care system does not work for you. You are being abused and cheated. The [dubious and poorly documented] facts listed below are from healthreform.gov:
- Women are twice as likely to suffer from headaches, more likely to experience joint, back or neck pain, and more likely to suffer from psychological distress.
- Women are also more likely to report fair or poor health than men (9.5% versus 9.0%).
- In the individual insurance market, women are often charged higher premiums than men during their reproductive years. Holding other factors constant, a 22 year old woman can be charged one and a half times the premium of a 22 year old man.
- In the individual insurance market, many states allow insurance companies to calculate premiums based on an individual’s characteristics such as existing health problems, age, and gender.
- Higher costs and inadequate benefits make the individual insurance market an unreliable choice for women.
- Comprehensive health care reform is needed to level the playing field, and make health care accessible and affordable for all women.
Don't be lulled into complacency by the fact that your life expectancy is five or six years greater than that of the average man. Yes, men outrank women in all of the 15 leading causes of death except Alzheimer's, but that is irrelevant. This inconvenient truth does not negate the fact that our capitalist, misogynistic health care system is out to get you simply because you are a woman.
Don't be discouraged. There is hope. Obama will make things better.
Life Expectancy Calculator
According to this calculator, my wife is expected to outlive me by 20 years. We're reevaluating our life insurance policy.
Report citing veteran extremism is pulled
Bachmann Calls on Congress to Block Funds to ACORN
It's Bleepin' Golden!
'Blago' hair care line inspired by former Illinois governor