As the MSM has duly noted, with her concession speech tonight, Lisa Murkowski (RINO-AK) became the third Senator to be booted from office this year, joining Bob Bennett (RINO-UT) and Arlen Specter (Turncoat-PA).
The MSM will tell you that this is a bad year for incumbents. If there's a kernal of truth to that assesment, it's only because a majority of D.C. incumbents stand with the Obama administration. The real lesson to take from the death of these incumbencies is that it's a bad year for politicians who are insufficiently prepared to stand in the way of the Obama-Reid-Pelosi agenda.
Lisa Murkowski was beaten by Joe Miller, a conservative Tea Party Republican who emphasized Murkowski's unwillingness to repeal ObamaCare.
Liberal Republican Bob Bennett was beaten by Mike Lee, a conservative who who ran against Bailout Bob's fiscal irresponsibility.
Arlen Specter (D) was beaten by Joe Sestak, a Democrat who has been a thorn in the Obama administration's side. Sestak, in turn, will likely be beaten by a hardcore DeMint conservative, Pat Toomey.
If this year's primaries serve as a reliable indicator of things to come, November 2 will be a bad day not for incumbents in general, but specifically for incumbents who stand too close to Obama.
Cross-posted at Left Coast Rebel
More from Memeorandum
Update I: Attention Republicans! Stand firm against ObamaCare unless you want to destroy yourself politically:
A word to the wise is sufficient.
Here's what a Murkowski fan thinks about Joe Miller's successful effort to point out Murkowski's weak response to ObamaCare:
"Murkowski's response was a good one: that Joe Miller's claim was an outright lie and that she voted several times to repeal portions of Obamacare and co-sponsored other pieces of legislation to do the same."
Sorry, repealing portions of ObamaCare isn't good enough.
Update II: Interesting tweets on the topic...
- @ewerickson: "The Murkowski defeat is also a near total kneecapping of Mitch McConnell, whose leadership team is Gregg, Bennett, Murkowski, and Hutchison."
- @micellemalkin: "Ousted GOP Sen. Bob Bennett has company: AK Sen. Murkowski joins the lib Repub retiree club! http://tinyurl.com/2wmht2e"
- @pourmecoffee: Murkowski concedes. As I understand Alaska politics, she now becomes millionaire celebrity and rules world from Facebook.
- @sarahpalinusa Do you believe in miracles?! http://u.nu/72z2f Congratulations, @JoeWMiller! Thank you for your service, Sen. Murkowski. On to November!
- @ewerickson: How much worse will a lame duck session be with Murkowski, Bennett, Gregg, McCain et al having nothing to lose?